We prompt all of our clients travelling to Europe to take their European Health Insurance Cards with them, as you don’t know when you might need it for emergency treatment.

The EHIC isn’t to be used instead of travel insurance, but in conjunction with it. It’s not enough just to have travel insurance as many of the policies rely on you having a valid EHIC if you read the small print in the T&C’s.

If you need emergency health treatment when abroad in Europe, the first thing the doctor’s surgery or hospital ¬†will ask for is your EHIC and passport for photo identification.

The EHIC is provided free of charge in Europe to residents registered with the local healthcare service. The card is valid for 5 years, so it is important to check the date hasn’t expired, and you should renew it when there are six months remaining.

A valid European Health Insurance Card gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

For more information please visit http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx and here to apply for your EHIC https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do